Decide to Move
- Let your friends and family know!
- Familiarize yourself with the new area.
- Contact realtors, schools, healthcare facilities and other essential personnel.
- Contact your moving company to begin the planning process.
- Use our website as a resource to learn about the moving process, how to pack, and more!
- Clean out and donate unneeded items.
- Purchase high-quality moving materials. Read about what you’ll need on our Packing Materials page.
- Optional: create a moving inventory of your items in case you’d like to track everything along the journey.
- Ensure you have the necessary materials such as boxes, tape, padding, wrapping and mattress bags.
- Label boxes on all sides and tops.
- If you’re a DIY packer, please watch our videos on how to pack fragile items. If your movers are packing for you, don’t worry about it!
- Decide which items are your most valuable such as medications, paper documents, money and jewelry. These items should be moved by you, not your movers.
- Now is a good time to fill out a change-of-address form with usps.gov and any other important parties.
- Load your most valuable items into your personal vehicle.
- When your movers arrive, give them a walkthrough explaining everything that is to be moved and what is not to be moved.
- During the walkthrough, mentioning what your most valuable and fragile items are helps movers to understand what should be wrapped with a little extra padding!
- Once at the new place, be available to the movers so that they know where to place things as the truck is unloaded.
- Unpack your kitchen and bedrooms first.
- Unpack common areas like your dining and living rooms next.
- Unpack spare rooms, back patios and garages last.
- Read our Packing & Unpacking page for more unpacking tips!
- If you used movers and you thought that their service was awesome, please take a moment to leave a review online so that other people can learn how awesome they are!
- Check back in with your family and friends located in the old neighborhood!